What's Going On?

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The End of an Era


How do you say goodbye to something you have done for seven years? This past week has been one of mixed emotions for me. I said goodbye to Mrs. Wilson the teacher and hello to being a full-time Mom to my girls. Don't get me wrong, I am super excited to stay home and be a mom and face all of the adventures that await me there, but it was a little hard to let go of something I have done for so long.

I think my love of teaching really started at a young age. I always loved all of my teachers and wanted to be just like them. Being the oldest child in my family helped to as I was always bossing my siblings around and playing school with them. In high school I started to volunteer in classrooms and found I had a talent for teaching. I love teaching and getting that feeling of satisfaction and success when a child really understood something I taught them. There was nothing better than to see their understanding and their face light up. After high school it was off to Utah State University where I knew I would be trained by the best as they were ranked among the top ten education schools in the nation. I loved my college years filled with observations and student teaching. When it was time to graduate I interviewed for teaching jobs everywhere and finally chose to come to Utah County and teach at Freedom Elementary in Highland. And that is where I have stayed for my entire teaching career. It has been 7 years of fun, frustration, laughing, singing, heartache, and joy. Alot of happy things happened while teaching there, I got married and had my first little girl just to name a few. I met wonderful lifelong friends and hopefully changed some of my students lives. I always expected great things out of them and they rose to the challenge! I changed classrooms 4 times in seven years so I am now a pro at moving! I taught 4th grade for 4 years, 5th grade for 2 years and computers/technology for one year. I can honestly say I had the best principal and fellow teachers anywhere in the world. That is why I probably never moved schools and kept making the 40 minute round trip commute from Orem to Highland every day.

I will no longer be seeing this everyday...


or these wonderful friends...








But I will be molding the future in a new and exciting way, by striving the be the best Mother I can be. I will draw on my teaching experience to help me teach and nurture my girls. I am grateful for the experiences I had that have helped to make me who I am today. I am grateful that I now get the chance to stay home. I pray each day for patience and the ability to raise these children. I am sure many fun adventures await me on this new path, but I have waited a long time to be at this point in my life. So...here is to my new adventure of full time motherhood!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I totally feel for you. It's such a big change and I completely understand how sad it is to leave it all. Your girls are so lucky to have a mom that has such amazing talent and experience!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so happy for you! It was hard leaving Freedom after 2 years, I can not imagine 7! Have fun with your girlies! :)

    ReplyDelete