What's Going On?

Monday, October 29, 2012

EWWWW!

So...one day the kids and I were playing in the backyard and I looked over and just happened to see this gray bump under our fence line.  My initial thought was that it was a mouse that had gotten stuck trying to crawl under the fence.  Oh no!!! Upon closer examination, I discovered it had pointy ears and wings tucked under it!  Totally freaked me out...I called Ben who was at work and he told me to kill it.  I told him no way, I did not want to touch that thing!  He said to go get our neighbor, so I did, I went over to his house and was told by his daughter that I needed to call animal control and they would come get it.  She also said to be careful because it might have rabies and could bite us.  If you know me at all, you know I hate small rodents and insects, so of course I was totally scared of this thing waking up and coming after us.  I cut our outside play session short and took the girls inside.  We called animal control and the dispatcher said there was nothing they could do, they did not handle things like that.  So I called a pest control company and he said it was probably sick (rabies!) if it was that close to the ground and not with his group.  Again, freaking out even more!  He said it would probably fly away that night or he could come and get it for $60.  I told him I would wait until tonight...to see what happened.  When Ben got home at 10pm that night, it was still there, not a great sign!  He poked it with a stick and it fell right off the ledge, it was already dead! I had just spent most of the day panicking about a dead bat, I felt a little silly but it was still gross!  He poked it a few more times just to make sure it was dead and then threw it away.  What a weird day and one that I hope never to repeat...I am not a fan of bats!

No comments:

Post a Comment